Sunday, June 26, 2011

A Beginning Blogger's Lessons

Any new endeavor has a learning curve to it and starting a blog is no different.  I hadn’t been much of a blog reader before I started “Have Pen and Camera, Will Travel.”  Even now there are only three or four blogs that I seriously follow. With help and advice from Dave Carlson and Grady Morgan I’m beginning progress along my learning curve.  My first two lessons involve length and style.  First, I need to learn to keep the entries shorter.  It’s just so much fun writing about our travels that it’s been easy to say too much--what is exciting to me can become tedious to a reader. Second, I need to have a more specific focus in each blog entry.  For instance, my last entry about tearooms and coffee shops wasn’t about a current trip. It should have been referenced as recommendations for tearooms we’ve visited in our travels.  Having a specific focus for that entry would have helped also to cut down the length of the entry--the last two tearooms I mentioned wouldn’t have fit with a tighter focus.  It’s interesting to me that both being aware of length and following a specific purpose are lessons that when I was teaching I tried to drill into my beginning and advanced speech students.  Thus another lesson learned: Pay attention to your own advice.
To add a touch of the travel element to this entry I include a couple of photos taken on recent excursions when we got back from Scotland.  The first picture is of Upper Butte Creek Falls in the Cascade foothills above Scotts Mill.  


The next shot is of a flower in the Oregon Gardens in Silverton--I think I should pay more attention to the names of flowers I photograph.  If you haven’t been to the Gardens or haven’t been recently, I suggest a visit.  The Gardens are ten years old and are in fine condition.  By the way, the tearoom at the Gardens had a very tasty broccoli and cheese soup when I visited.


No comments:

Post a Comment