Friday, March 11, 2022

It's About Me


It’s about Me


This post is about me. First is a story about my senior year at South Salem HS. Second will be 21 photos (some of my favorites) that I’ve never shared or displayed or sold as prints. I feel good about sharing both of these.


My Senior Speech Year at South Salem HS


My third year on the South Salem speech team was quite special and yet nobody really noticed. Throughout the entire year in debate, individual events, and special speeches I won awards in every event I entered—most of the time third place and never first. Besides debate, the individual events I participated in was quite a variety: extemporaneous speaking, impromptu, oratory, dramatic interp, salesmanship (Linfield College), public address (Linfienld), and student congress. In every one of these events in six different competitions (high school and college tournaments) I won awards. I also entered two scholarship competitions and won awards in each (Odd Fellows United Nations competition and American Legion Oratorical).  

Highlights for the year included winning five Superior or Excellent awards at Portland State in five different events—I competed in 3 events one hour and two events the next hour—I was awarded Outstanding Speaker in the tournament by Coach Dr. Ben Padrow. At the Linfield College tournament I placed in the three individual events I entered and with my partner, Mike Harrell, won 2nd in Sr. Debate. I did receive a speech scholarship to Linfield from Dr. Hap Mahaffey. At the state tournament at Oregon State University Mike and I along with Catrhy Stone placed third in team debate, and at the NW Regional National Qualifying Tournament at Evergreen College in Washington I won 3rd  in Men’s Extemp (top two got to go to Nationals).

With approximately forty trophies (all seconds or thirds) won in my senior year of high school, it was encouraging that my partner at Linfield, Paul Butcher, and I took first place (undefeated) in our first college tournament.


Some Favorite Photos


There’s no significant order to these photos, They are just images I like or that bring back good memories, yet I’ve never before shared them. I thought it was time they were seen and shared. Let me know which ones you like (or don't like).


Health and Safety doesn't like this picture.

Crown Point Vista House, Early Morning

Ancient standing stone and small castle in Central Scotland.

This really is a selfie taken on a Scottish ferry trip.

Grafitti Wall in Santa Fe

Anne enjoys a scone in a stationary rail car tearoom in Dufftopwn, Scotland.

An ancient stone circle in a cow field near Killin, Scotland.

Abandoned crofts on an island we passed on a ferry from the mainland to Kirkwall in the Orkney Islands, Scotland.

Dramatic clouds framed the dunes along Balnakeil Beach in the far Northwest corner of Scotland.

Anne crossing a clapper bridge (large flat stone bridge) in Datmoor National Park, England.

.
  

A small croft in the Scottish highlands near Braemar.

Gathering Pollen in Scotland

Tillamook Rock Lighthouse on a rare summer day.

Abiquiu Lake, New Mexico, near the home and studio of artist Georgia O'Keeffe

Forest bridge on the trail to the Burn O'Vat near Ballatter, Scotland.

Sunset in Arches National Park, Moab, Utah.

I have absolutely no idea what this creature is, but I know I wouldn't want to meet it in a dark alley. Photo taken near Sisters, OR.

Old Friends (Elgin, Scotland)

Anne on the trail in the far northwest of Scotland, near Durness.

Credit the photographer, Anne, for catching me at work in an ancient cairn in Ireland.

Store window and street reflection in Scotland. Is Anne inside or out?


5 comments:

  1. Do you have enough photos for a feature on the flat stone bridges or bridges in general? Some of the bridge architecture is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only got a couple of examples of clapper bridges, but post (or part of a post) on bridges might be a fun piece. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. Hi Bob, I particularly enjoyed 4 of your pictures, the sky and dunes in Scotland, I love the color of the sky, 2. Anne crossing that bridge, the man standing precariously on that ladder, and you sleeping. Thanks so much for sharing. I miss you and Anne and hope to see you soon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments. Yes, see you soon.

    ReplyDelete